Your new glasses have just arrived and you would like them to last a long time?
We have all the answers in this guide. If not, just get in touch with someone from our team!
Every Day Care for Glasses
- For daily cleaning: use the microfibre cleaning cloth provided with your glasses and a lens spray. Ensure the cloth is clean.
- When putting your glasses away for the night, put them in the case to avoid any mishaps. A little motto we like to share with our patients. “If they’re not on your face, put them in your case.”
There is more you can do!
- A hard case is the best protection for your glasses.
- Don’t put your glasses straight into your pocket unprotected as they could get damaged.
- Avoid using tissues or clothing to clean your glasses to minimise scratching. Only use your microfibre cleaning cloth.
- Washing your microfibre cloth is important. Just put it in with your normal laundry wash but avoid fabric softener.
- Extreme or sudden heat can damage the lenses, e.g. leaving them in your car on a very hot day, or consistently opening a hot oven door without turning your head away. This can damage the frame and the coatings on the lenses.
- Avoid any harsh chemicals like hair spray or glue as these can damage your lenses. When using hair spray, shield the lenses or remove your glasses.
- Use both hands to take your glasses on and off to avoid stress on the hinges.
- Never place your glasses face down on a surface, they should be facing up to prevent scratching on the apex of the lenses.
- Avoid putting your glasses on the top of your head. This will eventually splay the temples and loosen the fit.
- For a simple clean, use your lens spray and microfibre cleaning cloth.
- If you have been wearing your glasses in a dusty environment or outside on a windy day, always rinse your glasses before wiping them clean.
- The most effective way to clean your glasses if they are particularly dirty, is to run them under lukewarm water and put a tiny drop of mild dishwashing detergent on the tip of your fingers to create a lather on the lens. Then rinse with warm water, and dry with a soft clean cloth.
Don’t have a microfibre cleaning cloth, lens spray or have you misplaced your case? They are available for purchase at the practice! 68 Don Street, Invercargill